Saturday, November 14, 2009

Remembrance Day at Queen's Park

On Wed November 11 2009, It was Remembrance Day here in Canada, I joined my friend Adam and his friend Eric at the Veterans' Memorial on the front lawn of the main legislative building at Queen's Park ( Queen's Park is where Government of Ontario Legislature meet ).
It was MC'd by Major-General Richard Rohmer (Retired), Premier Dalton McGuinty also spoke. It was my first time ever being at a Remembrance Day ceremony at Queen's Park.

I was rather surprised how close we were able to get ( within 30 feet of the podium ) , I guess I just expected a bit more visible security.

 It was a great way for me to remember and give support to those who have fought for Canada in many ways over the years. I remember as a kid in elementary school going into the gymnasium at school  to remember the Canadian soldiers who had fought in different wars. Even though my grandfather was a pilot in the Canadian air force I never gave much thought to it back then. I know growing up as a kid Canada really hadn't been involved in any kind of conflict that really made much news anyway. My grandfather and I never spoke about his time serving in the air force and what all he had seen. Thinking back I wish I was more brave to ask him to tell me a few stores about it. 

No comments: