Friday, June 5, 2009

Grenadier Pond

I went for a walk with a friend yesterday in High Park Here in Toronto and took a few pictures as always. I really would be lost if I went anywhere without my camera. As we were walking along Grenadier Pond I remember the story I heard one winter when I was walking on the frozen pond from a guy who lives along the pond. He told me of the myth that in the early 1800's a few British Grenadiers (soldiers) fell though the ice during drill practice because of all the gear that had with them while trying to cross the frozen pond during the late winter and but a few drowned in the pond. I personally think it's just all a myth but still a fun story to imagine about even if there is not any record of such an event occurring.

A Mute Swan Nesting

Male Wood Duck, Female Wood Duck
Red Eared Slider , Midland Painted Turtle, Red Eared Slider 

Some say that some parts of the pond are bottomless because of the mud that is like quicksand.
My question is this, would the mud not in fact be the actual bottom of the pond even if you can't stand on it?

3 comments:

Mark said...

You're posting some excellent photos here, Nick!

Hernandez said...

Great post and nice pictures. Keep it up.

Chris Motherwell said...

I believe the turtles on the left & middle are Red-eared Sliders. Very unlikely to find a Western Painted Turtle this far south.

Chris